In Reviews

BOOK REVIEW : Some Boys


Title : Some Boys 
Author : Patty Blout
Release date : August 5, 2014
Date read : March 4, 2019
Rating : ★★★★.75



“I won’t give up, and I won’t run away. And I won’t change how I look even if you do think I look better this way because I’m not the problem here! Everybody says it’s my fault because I got drunk, and you know what? That doesn’t count! Everyone was drinking that night. There’s only one thing that counts, but nobody wants to hear it.”



I stumbled upon this book while browsing a website trying to find something to distract me and WOW. This book took me by one hell of a surprise.
I tend to avoid books with this subject matter as it is a trigger of mine, but I was intrigued by the synopsis and decided to give it a shot and THANK GOD I DID.

I absolutely couldn't put this book down, I was into it from the very first chapter, I was HOOKED. It's written really simply but it's still makes an impact.

Grace, the main character, is a breath of fresh air. She is so strong, so independent and even with all the shit that happens to her, she still has a big heart. She's one fierce lady and you just can't help not falling in love with her. She has her moments, she isn't invisible. She is just so.. real. She doesn't back down, she doesn't cower, she speaks her truth and damn all the consequences.

"Hell, you don’t need a hero. You just save yourself."


She had to stand up for herself throughout most of, if not the entire book. Everyone gave up on her, no one believed her, everyone blamed her. She lost all her friends, the whole school bullied her, harassed her and called her names but she refused to let them win. She refused to back down from her fight. And she won.

I just loved this book so fucking much. And Grace was the biggest part of the reason why.

On the other side, there was her relationship with Ian. It wasn't easy, it wasn't typical. Ian was Zac's best friend, and for him, his friend could do no wrong. When he found out both side of the story, the lie from his friends side (which, he didn't know was a lie) and the truth from Grace he was just torn. He didn't know what to do. He was fighting a battle of wills with himself. He was douchy at some points but still.. sweet. Except when he was not. But deep down, he was a good guy. He was just... ignorant. Once he saw his friend for what and who he is, he fought and risked everything to get him to pay for what he did. He almost got himself killed, risked his scholarship, his team... pretty much everything.

“Giving up is easy, not right. If doing the right thing were easy, nobody would ever do stuff they know is wrong, like kiss their daughter’s dance instructor or rape an unconscious girl who already said no.”


The only thing I had mixed feelings about was how fast Grace forgave her friends for the hell they put her through at the end. But that's just speaks about Grace's character and her big heart more. I hated it, but at the same time, it just made me love her more. Because she is THAT good of a person without being incredibly naive.

I just... I'm so glad I read this.




Related Articles

0 comments:

Post a Comment